Saturday, October 14, 2006

Moliere, Monologue from Tartuffe

TARTUFFE
A monologue from the play by Molière
NOTE: This monologue is reprinted from The Dramatic Works of Molière, Vol. II. Ed. Charles Heron Wall. London: George Bell & Sons, 1898.

This play was performed in the 1660's in France and I thought that folks might find this interesting in comparison to Shakespeare. RNC

TARTUFFE: Our love for the beauty which is eternal, stifles not in us love for that which is fleeting and temporal; and we can easily be charmed with the perfect works Heaven has created. Its reflected attractions shine forth in such as you; but it is in you alone that its choicest wonders are centred. It has lavished upon you charms which dazzle the eye, and which touch the heart; and I have never gazed on you, perfect creature, without admiring the Creator of the universe, and without feeling my heart seized with an ardent love for the most beautiful picture in which He has reproduced Himself. At first I feared that this secret tenderness might be a skilful assault of the evil one; I even thought I would avoid your presence, fearing you might prove a stumbling-block to my salvation. But I have learnt, O adorable beauty, that my passion need not be a guilty one; that I can reconcile it with modesty; and I have given up my whole soul to it. I know that I am very presumptuous in making you the offer of such a heart as mine; but in my love I hope everything from you, nothing from the vain efforts of my unworthy self. In you is my hope, my happiness, my peace; on you depends my misery or bliss; and by your verdict I shall be for ever happy, if you wish it; unhappy if it pleases you. I know that such language from me seems somewhat strange; but after all, I am not an angel; and, if you condemn the confession I make, you have only your own attractions to blame for it. As soon as I beheld their more than human beauty, my whole being was surrendered to you. The unspeakable sweetness of your divine charms forced the obstinate resistance of my heart; it overcame everything -- fasting, prayers, and tears -- and fixed all my hopes in you. A thousand times my eyes and my sighs have told you this; to-day I explain myself with words. Ah! if you consider with some kindness the tribulations and trials of your unworthy slave, if your goodness has compassion on me, and deigns to stoop so low as my nothingness, I shall ever have for you, O marvellous beauty, a devotion never to be equalled. With me your reputation runs no risk, and has no disgrace to fear. All those court gallants upon whom women dote, are noisy in their doings, boastful in their talk. Ever vain of their success, they never receive favours without divulging them; and their indiscreet tongues dishonour the altar on which their hearts sacrifice. But men like me burn with a hidden flame, and secrecy is for ever assured. The care which we take of our own reputation is a warrant to the woman who accepts our heart, that she will find love without scandal, and pleasure without fear.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bloody King of the World said...

And I thought *I* was long-winded.

The man is actually intriguing in light of Shakespeare- rather than making classical allusions to Greek figures or more pagan ideals (the moon, to give a Romeo/Juliet example of the latter), the man is constantly referencing only God, and the devil at times. Somehow I get a kick out of his allusion to a "skilful assault by the evil one"- it's endearing and bizarre all at once. If I was told I was so handsome that I had to be a demon, I know I'd be both touched and utterly disturbed all at once.

That last really sums this up, somehow- Shakespeare's lovers always strike me as knowing that, while things might end badly, they love each other. This guy is not worried that he'll be screwed in the future- heck, if anything, he's planned for it. He's love without scandal, pleasure without fear... this guy knows how to make a *life* out of things.
Unlike Shakespeare's lovers, who always despair that "the world" is coming against them, and never end up really living with each other (they die "tragically"), Tartuffe, despite having a name that looks like it should rhyme with "powderpuff", is planning on a future with his desire.

I think that may be why I like this guy more; not just his "so-beautiful-you-must-be-the-devil" bit that still manages to sound endearing, but because he actually wants to live with this woman, and has "cleaned himself up" just so that when he meets his perfect woman, he can give her love without scandal. That's the sort of dedication and honor I admire.

Shakespeare's so concerned with breaking down feudalism that he never considers that his heroes must live with their decisions. Even those who survive to get married don't strike me as a "couple" that can stay married- just people who are madly lusting after each other. Tartuffe?

Tartuffe seems much more stable, if somewhat more religious. Maybe a correlation?

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that while there are many differences between the two, there are many similarities in the way that love is declared in this passage from Moliere and the way it is declared in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet through the character of Romeo. Romeo, as well as the man in the passage, both admire their women greatly, so much that it could possibly be considered complete devotion. The comparisons between the movie "Moliere" and the movie "Shakespeare in Love" are also hard to avoid.
I thought it was very interesting how both men were somewhat worshiping their women, in a feudal like society where it was thought that a man should not be this way toward a woman. It seems odd that both writers would incorporate this idea.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kayla Meadows said...

First and foremost, I will say that, as a theatre student, I have a profound respect and admiration for both Shakespare and Moliere, particularly because, when looking at this monologue again, I can see, as a writer and an actress, a vast difference in style and tone.

Moliere's use of language is beautiful in an entirely different manner than Shakespeare -where Shakespeare's is perfect in rhythm, it can occasionally be stiff, whereas everything I have thus far gathered from Moliere's works is simply incredible as far as flow is concerned. The language is flawless in execution -every word placed to reflect another and shine in its own right. This monologue, in particular, is simply BEAUTIFUL. There are no other words.

Shakespeare, of course, is beautiful, as well, and I will always be a fanatic in regards to his work, particularly his sonnets, which bear a stronger resemblance to Moliere in style than his plays. In an effort to make more profound statements, I believe that he sometimes sacrificed that beautiful, if not slightly romantic and fluffy, style that Moliere perpetuated, which is perfectly fine when one looks at the overall profoundly fantastic quality of Shakespeare.

I cannot sing enough praises for either of these authors, but I can say that it would be an extremely difficult decision, despite their differences, to choose between one or the other as an actress, director, or designer. They are both reknowned parts of theatre and the rich history of it.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly loved this. I thought it was amazingly beautiful. Though there fore a second I thought he was talking about/to a painting… which was awkward then I was like, naaa….

Anyways, this was really and truly an amazingly beautiful writing. I thought it was beautiful. And at the time that this was wrote I’m sure a lot of guys where how he described them as being boastful and talkative about their wins. Heck this is something that hasn’t changed throughout time as it is. Males will get a score and spread it around like wild fire and everyone will know about it and the person he was with would be considered easy.

This monologue just makes it seem like girls are worth fighting for and holding on to, and if I weren’t gay I would have to agree with this monologue. Heck I agree now but not for the same reasons as the characters.

But as I said I really enjoyed this, it was very poetic, soothing and romantic.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home